Mold is an awful problem that most homeowners end up facing. If you are exposed to mold inside your home, it can create many serious health issues. Mold can be visible or hidden, and one such place is your window AC unit. An AC unit constantly circulates air through it into your home, and sometimes it can push spores of mild into your room.
Several signs indicate that mold could be hiding in your AC, such as a musty smell when the unit is working or especially after it has been turned off for a while. If you have frequent allergy symptoms, take note that it is also one of the signs of mold. If you notice such signs solving the mold problem is best in your interest. Go through this brief guide on how to clean a window AC to free yourself from a mold problem.
Mold Removal Instructions
- The first important thing to do is to put on your safety gear, including masks, gloves, and eyewear. Then turn off the unit and unplug the power source. After that, take the unit to an area with good ventilation.
- Now remove the first grille of your unit so you can access the filter located in the front grille. If your filter is disposable, then install a new one. Otherwise, if it is washable, place it in a sink full of hot water and sprinkle it with laundry detergent.
- After 15 minutes, use a scrub brush to clean both sides of the filter and then rinse it with clean water.
- Next, remove the metal cover of the AC unit located behind the front body grille. Now use a mixture of water, dish soap, and bleach to clean the interior of the unit and get rid of the mold and debris. Now rinse with water ad damp cloth.
- After the unit, grille, and filter are completely dry, reassemble the unit and turn it on.
If you have any questions, call Mirtron A/C & Heating, LLC, at 281-859-5757.